The famous Bayview Mackinac plaque had its origins with the original race in 1925. It was originally designed by Commodore Floyd Nixon, the Detroit Free Press cartoonist and art director. Member Bill Schnell made the die for the plaque including gold, silver and bronze medals for all that placed in the race. When the depression hit hard in 1931, the silver and bronze versions were discontinued because of the club’s impending bankruptcy. It was then decided instead that replicas of the plaques would be distributed to all skippers completing the race and that practice has continued every year to this day.