January 15, 2023
Race Chair Communication #1
Happy New Year!
The Mackinac Race Authority (MRA) has submitted the Notice of Race (NOR) to the Bayview Yacht Club Board of Governors, as required by the Bayview Yacht Club Bylaws, and it has been approved. The 2023 NOR is now available for review on the official race website at www.bycmack.com.
Notable changes to the 2023 Notice of Race (NOR) are as follows:
- The Entry Deadline is June 1 at 1700 hours, the Late Entry Deadline is June 9 at 1700 hours, and the ORC / GLMRA Last Certificate Date is no later than June 15, 2023.
- The Entry Fee has increased by $1 per foot of the Length-Over-All, and entry forms, entry fees, or any required documents, including preliminary crew lists (except as in the NOR) after the Entry Deadline, shall be accompanied by a $500 (US funds) late fee in addition to the applicable entry fee. Please note that incomplete applications will be subject to rejection.
Each boat, at the time of crossing the Finish, shall take a photograph of the boat’s primary navigation GPS, clearly showing the time and location and demonstrating compliance with crossing the Finish. Please note that a boat’s position transponder (i.e. YB Tracking) shall not be used as the boat’s primary navigation GPS and/or system and should not be used for navigational purposes.
The 2023 Bayview Mackinac Race Safety Equipment Requirements will be posted on or before April 1, 2023. The 2023 Bayview Mackinac Race Cruising Class Rules will be posted on or before February 1, 2023. An email notification will be sent when the Safety Equipment Requirements and the Cruising Class Rules are posted on the race website.
We are working with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources on our new contract for dockage in the Mackinac Island State Harbor. Our use of the harbor will likely be like what it was in 2022, so the number of boats docking in the Mackinac Island State Harbor will again be limited. We will have additional limited dockage on the Arnold Dock. Water levels will also come into play as we get closer to the event.
Please remember that if any crew or shore crew of any boat that participates in the race violates any rules that cause the Bayview Mackinac Race or Bayview Yacht Club to violate any contractual requirements, the boat will be immediately disqualified from the current year’s race. Any awards or records will be forfeited. In addition, the boat and owner will be barred from entry in the next year’s race, per our contractual requirement with the DNR.
The boat owner or Person-In-Charge (PIC) is singularly responsible for the actions of the crew and shore crew from when the boat enters the Black River in Port Huron until 11 am on Wednesday, July 19, 2022. There is NO action a boat owner or PIC can take to absolve themselves of their responsibility.
For fairness to all competitors, docking preference will be granted to boats in order of paid registration in the race. We may not be able to accommodate docking for all competitors at Mackinac Island. An entry in the race does NOT guarantee a dock on Mackinac Island.
The annual update to the www.bycmack.com website is complete. Testing has been done, but we are not perfect, so please let us know if anyone finds an error or omission. Some password/access problems need to be individually addressed. Since docking preference will be granted to boats in the order of paid registration in the race, to make it fair for everyone, this is the plan:
- The race website (www.bycmack.com) is now open for access verification. You will NOT be able to register your boat until January 21st. You can test and make sure your ID and password work and review the 2023 NOR. I encourage everyone to test it. If you experience any problems, please email Melissa at Melissa@byc.com.
- If you are entering a new boat, you must create a new record for the race by completing the form under Race Invitation Request under the Competitors tab on the website. You will be sent a login and password to create a new record.
- Saturday, January 21, 2023, @ 12:00 pm (Noon) EST – The race website opens for registration.
- No access problems will be accommodated after Thursday, January 19, 2023, at 12:00 pm (Noon) EST. It is incumbent on the Boat Owner or PIC to test and make sure you have access before registration opens.
- The race is NOT responsible for registration access problems after registration opens.
- If you choose to pay your entry fee by check, your boat will not show on the registered list until Bayview Yacht Club receives and clears your payment. Assuming the payment clears the registration, the paid registration order will be established based on the time you authorized payment. This ensures your spot in line is held while payment clears.
- You will be immediately shown on the registered list with payment made by PayPal or BYC Club Charge.
- You will not be shown as registered until payment is made.
Behavior on the Island
The City of Mackinac Island is growing tired of some extreme things that have happened on the island after the race. In general, if you are arrested or cause a scene that brings disrepute to the race or Bayview Yacht Club, you and the boat owner will likely have to explain your actions to the MRA and the BYC Board of Governors (BOG). The NOR allows the MRA and BYC BOG to penalize boats at their discretion without protest.
Shenanigans – a BYC Core Value
Getting arrested in Port Huron, Mackinac City, St. Ignace, or on Mackinac Island is out of line and very bad!
Please help us preserve the privilege of using this destination as the race’s finish.
ORC Handicapping Seminar
The DRYA is hosting an ORC Handicapping Seminar on Wednesday, February 1, 2023, at 7 p.m. at Bayview Yacht Club. Dobbs Davis, Communications Director for ORC, will be presenting. Dobbs is an incredible resource for our competitors in determining ratings. Please plan to attend if you have any questions about ORC ratings.
2023 ORC Ratings
US Sailing’s Offshore Office has spent the off-season developing an improved and more comprehensive application system and an internal processing system designed to make issuing certificates more accurate and efficient. The office will reach out to the competitors in the coming weeks to announce the opening of the 2023 Certificate Application. This communication will include instructions on applying for your 2023 certificate and the timing of certificate issuance. If you have any questions about the upcoming season, please email email@example.com or call them at 401-342-7953.
100th Running of the Bayview Mackinac Race – July 20, 2024
Charlie Trost, 2024 Mackinac Race Chair, 2024 BYC Commodore Mike Helm, and their team are already planning for the 100th running of the race. Mark your calendars for July 20, 2024! It’s going to be a special event! For those participating in this year’s race, Bayview plans to reserve a spot for your entry in the 100th running in 2024.
Pink Pony Comes to Bayview – Friday, January 20, 2023
Come and celebrate that we’re halfway to the 2023 Mackinac Race! The Pink Pony is bringing the party to Bayview, turning the Club into a Detroit version of the Pink Pony for the day! They’re bringing their staff, shirts, and even the Pink Pony in a display case for photo ops! A full dinner menu is available with specials. There will be Tito’s and Labatt’s drink specials and live music in the Regatta Bar from 8 – 11 p.m. Call BYC to make your dinner reservations at 313-822-1853.
What do I want you to remember?
- Make sure your user ID and password work on the updated site.
- Competitors must pay their entry fee to register for the race.
- Docking preference will be granted to boats in order of paid registration in the race. Register late, and you will end up paying for your well at Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.
- Entry does not guarantee dockage on Mackinac Island.
- Don’t cause any problems that you will regret later.
- Visit our website (www.bycmack.com) often; this is where we will post all competitor notifications and updates and the calendar of the important events.
- More volunteers than you can imagine are working hard to keep your cost down and fun up. Please appreciate the work they do.
I want to thank our sponsors and supporters for the race: Bayview Mackinac Race Foundation, Aperol/Campari Beverages, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Aitken & Ormond Insurance, and Frankenmuth Insurance. Without our sponsors, we cannot run the quality event we are known for.
We at Bayview Yacht Club are honored that you have chosen to participate in the Bayview Mackinac Race and are putting forth our best effort to make it the best it can be for you.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Chair, 2023 Bayview Mackinac Race